Monday 13 January 2014

2014 Golden Globes Round-Up


Hello again my readers! It seems that today is the day of the 71st Annual Golden Globe awards, how exciting! It seems like just yesterday that I was getting all excited and writing about the People's Choice Awards (probably because it almost was). Too many awards show, so little time. Anyway, I'm pretty much just going to do exactly the same thing I did the other day, so not many surprises there. And here's some excitement, I'm writing it live! I don't know what's gonna happen, you don't know what's gonna happen, it could get crazy!

Best and Worst Dressed

In my usual fashion (get it, fashion), I'm going to start the post off with my rating of the best and worst dressed. Prepare to get cut throat and judgmental! But I'll be nice again and ease you into it with the best dressed list first. 

Best Dressed

Giuliana Rancic 


















Yes, I know, she's not exactly an actress, but she was there in clothing, so I think it still counts. Even though Giuliana was one of the interviewers on the red carpet, she still looked amazeballs! I would seriously wear that (I don't know where I'd wear it, but I would). Plus she is on 'Fashion Police', so who better to feature in the one fashion section I have on the blog, am I right?


Margot Robbie 


















The star of 'The Wolf of Wall Street' Margot Robbie looked super super awesome at the Golden Globes! She went with white, which can sometimes be boring, but she rocked it and made it work. TBH, I'd actually never heard of her before the award show, but she's Australian and looked amazeballs, so two good things!


Maria Menounos


















Again, it's time to come clean, I had never heard of her before the award show, but again, she did look amazeballs! I'm loving the pink, and you'd think that the little cut outs on the dress wouldn't work, but they did. She really knocked it out of the park, despite the fact I have no idea why she was there and what movie of TV show she was in, but it's not like that matters anyway. 


Rachel Smith


















It seems that I'm 3 for 3 here, because once again, no idea. After some googling I discovered that she's actually a model, so what is she doing at the Golden Globes? I don't know, she probably broke in. Whatever she did seems to be working for her, because her dress is absolutely amazeballs. It is so great, seriously! I want it, right now. 


Zooey Deschanel


















Appearing on my best dressed list for the second time (which I'm sure is a greater honour for her than being nominated for a Golden Globe) is star of 'New Girl' Zooey Deschanel. I seriously love this despite the mixed reviews out there in the land of the internet. It's cute, it's quirky, it's girly and it's awesome. Plus, she had really awesome nails!













Daisies! How awesome is that? Nail art for the win!

Worst Dressed


Kaley Cuoco


















I know, I'm depressed too. She normally looks so great at all the awards shows! I remember when she made it onto my best dressed list back in the day, oh how times have changed. It's not so much the style of this dress that bothers me, it's just the god awful curtain-like pattern, it's actually quite disgusting. Also it just kinda looks like she needs to hoik the dress up a bit so that it fits properly, either that or she should shoot her seamstress. Better luck next time Kaley. 

Lena Dunham


















Never failing to disgust us, it seems that Lena Dunham has done it again, making this her second appearance on my worst dressed list. To be fair, she does look a lot better than she has in a while, but that's not saying much. Yellow never works, ever, so there was really no hope for her from the start. Plus, the shape of the dress isn't the most flattering on her to say the least. Who knows, maybe next award show she'll surprise everyone and be the best dressed one there (or probably not)?

Lizzy Caplan


















I actually don't even know what to say, because I'm not exactly sure what makes this so bad. She kinda looks like an intense, aztec robot. I think it's just a bit full on for me. The gold just kinda makes it look tacky, and the black doesn't help. Sorry Lizzy, you even looked better back in the day when you were in 'Mean Girls', and considering you were a depressed emo outsider, perhaps you should consider going with a different style next award show. 

Paula Patton


















I had absolutely no idea who she was before the award show, but I certainly know who she is now. This dress is legitimately scary. It looks like the right side of it is trying to eat her. Even though it seems impossible, it looks even worse in video. It seriously is an awful monstrosity, that's all. 

Zoe Saldana


















This dress is truly hideous. Again, I'd never actually heard of Zoe Saldana, but now I won't be able to forget her. The image of that awful dress will haunt me for the next few weeks. It looks like she just walked into a junk yard, grabbed whatever she could find, and really terribly sewed it together. But no, apparently it was custom made! That's right, that thing was made specifically for her. RIP good taste!


The Actual Award Show

This year, the Golden Globes was once again hosted by the legendary comedy duo Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.











They started their introduction in what can only be described as a massive roast of pretty much every celebrity in the audience. Matt Damon was referred to as 'the garbage man' (which he luckily went along with)












Martin Scorsese was named 'the smallest man with the biggest glasses', and apparently Kerry Washington is carrying President Fitz's baby.












Yep, the opening monologue got pretty intense. However, in my opinion, the best quote throughout the whole thing was this: "Gravity is nominated for Best Film. It's the story of how George Clooney would rather float away into space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age". 

A close second was when we cut to Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who had apparently escaped from the television section and begun hiding out in the movie section.












While doing this, she also managed to smoke and wear sunglasses.














But that wasn't the last we saw of her. Later in the show, it seemed that she's sneakily made her way back to the TV section, being a traitor to all. 












Plus, news update everyone, Amy Poehler apparently has a new face. Yep, this is what we saw when the camera cut to Amy in the audience.


In the words of Amy herself, it's hard to believe she's a 42 year old mother of two.

If you don't trust me, if you think this intro sounds too outrageous to be true, just watch it here for yourself. 

Again, in my usual award show recap fashion, I'm just going to put all the winners together, because despite them being distributed throughout the award show, I don't think anyone ever could be bothered to write them down as it happens. 

And the winners are . . .

Best Drama

12 Years A Slave














Best Comedy or Musical

American Hustle 
















Best Actor, Drama

Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club














Best Actress, Drama

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine





















Best Actor, Comedy or Musical

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street















Best Actress, Comedy or Musical

Amy Adams, American Hustle





















Best Supporting Actor

Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club














Best Supporting Actress

Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle





















Best Director

Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity














Best Foreign Language Film

The Great Beauty, Italy

















Best Animated Film

Frozen





















Best Screenplay

Spike Jonze, Her





















Best Original Score

Alex Ebert, All Is Lost















Best Original Song

Ordinary Love, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom


















Cecil B. Demille Award

Woody Allen















Best Drama Series

Breaking Bad













Best Musical or Comedy Series

Brooklyn Nine-Nine













Best Actor in a Drama Series

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad





















Best Actress in a Drama Series

Robin Wright, House of Cards





















Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy Series

Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine














Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy Series

Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation














Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Film

Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra





















Best Actress in a Miniseries or TV Movie

Elisabeth Moss, Top of the Lake





















Best TV Supporting Actor 

Jon Voight, Ray Donovan





















Best TV Supporting Actress

Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing on the Edge





















Best Miniseries or TV Film

Behind the Candelabra















Was I entirely happy with these wins? Eh, truth be told I didn't really care that much. However, I am super devastated that 'Glee' didn't even get nominated, what is with the Foreign Press? I'm offended, majorly. Also, personally I think that 'Frozen' should've won for best original song, but TBH, I'm just happy it wasn't Taylor Swift. I don't think I could survive putting another picture of her on here.

My Awards

I know I'd normally be doing the music section now, but guess what, there was no music! Which is actually probably a good thing, because let's get real, does anyone ever actually enjoy the performances? If we brought the Glee Cast out everything would be awesome, but unfortunately that probably won't ever happen. 

Anyway, I'm just going to do my usual thing and give out some of the awards I feel best fit the show. So without further ado, here are my winners . . .

Best Mispronunciation: When Amy Poehler mispronounced the name of the mighty Tom Hanks. 












To which Tom Hanks responded with a . . .












Best Celebrity Impersonation: Melissa McCarthy thinks she's Matt Damon. There's no way I can explain this and do it justice, just watch it.
















Best Act of Defiance: Emma Thompson, who's decided to YOLO her way through the Golden Globes.












Best Onstage Skit: When Amy Poehler pretended to be Tina Fey's illegitimate son, Randy, and become 'Mr Golden Globes' in favour of gender equality.












Apparently, 'Randy' still doesn't know who his celebrity father is, so decides to go searching the room to find him.












Best Interview Bomb: Jennifer Lawrence gatecrashing an interview with Taylor Swift (which just makes it even better).












Best Celebrity Snub: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, still in character from the opening skit, refusing to take a selfie with Reese Witherspoon.




So that's now the end of my 2014 Golden Globes post, how exciting! It was probably a bit shorter than my usual award show posts, but I guess that just makes it better for you. You're welcome. Til' next time . . .

Annabel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment