Tuesday 14 January 2014

'Frozen' Review, with GIFS!












Hello again my readers! As you can tell from the title, I'm going to be doing another movie review. But I won't just be reviewing any movie, oh no. I will be giving you my brutally honest opinion of the new animated Disney film, 'Frozen'. I know it's not that new considering it came out on Boxing Day (or for all you Americans, the day after Christmas), but it came out in the past month, so that's good enough for me. Buckle in, because it may be a bumpy ride.










This new Disney film, inspired by the classic story of Hans Christian Anderson's 'The Snow Queen' was actually surprisingly awesome. I walked into that theatre for one reason and one reason only- Jonathan Groff. I have spoken before about my love for all that is 'Glee' and musical theatre, so it is no surprise that an alum from the awesome musical comedy series as well as the broadway musical 'Spring Awakening' was all it took for me to make my way down to the cinema and watch an animation aimed at the under 12's. However, after all that, I'm seriously glad I went.










When you hear the words 'Disney' and 'princess' in the same sentence, you instantly think that you're in for a movie filled with an abundance of conservatism and thinly veiled sexism. You know the drill, there's always an awful antagonist who seems to render the heroine incapable of doing anything, until her prince comes in and saves the day and inevitably gets the girl, who can't help but fall for his manliness, despite the fact he's most likely wearing tights. But now it seems that in the realm of Disney, this overdue change has finally come.

It tells the story of two princesses, Elsa and Anna, who were practically inseparable as children. The eldest girl, Elsa, has magical powers that allow her to create ice and snow from her finger tips. Of course, as spirited children do, the two girls put this to good use, frolicking around in their manmade (or in this case, woman made) winter wonderland and building snowmen together. 

It all seems to be going splendidly, until Elsa accidentally freezes her sister's head, almost killing her in the process. Their parents take Anna to a group of elves, who manage to fix the problem, as well as remove Anna's recollection of Elsa's powers in hopes of protecting her in the future. The girls are then separated by their parents for the rest of their adolescence in hopes to keep them both safe. 

A few years later, things become worse as Elsa (voiced by Idina Menzel) flees the castle and creates a seemingly never ending winter after events climax back at the castle. Being the caring sister she is, Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell) goes off to find her with the help of handsome yet stubborn ice-cutter Kristoff (voiced by Jonathan Groff, yay!). 

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, I won't reveal any more of the plot. Let's just say it has a bit of a surprise, totally pro-feminist ending. Even though it's still a Disney movie, they've given it a modern twist which I think you'll all appreciate. 

All in all, I was seriously impressed by this movie. The animations were awesome (especially in 3D), the singing was top notch, and the fact that it was a musical didn't hurt either. All of the songs were fun (so much so that I've recently downloaded the album) and spoiler alert, you're all going to love Olaf the snowman.










I have to say, by the end of the movie, I kind of shipped Olaf and Sven the reindeer (because I'm super weird like that).









Also, may I just totally biasedly say, J-Groff was awesome, seriously, awesome. My only complaint is that he didn't sing more. He totally should've got at least a duet with Anna, seriously.











But anyway, just ignore my biased ranting and go see the movie for yourself while it's still in cinemas. After all, it has won a People's Choice Award, Golden Globe and my approval (which of course if highly sought after).

That's about it. I hope you took on board my probably incorrect, totally biased opinions, and go see the movie ASAP. Til' next time . . .

Annabel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment