Wednesday 25 June 2014

'A Million Way to Die in the West' Review (with GIF's!)













Hello again my readers! It seems that I've really been hitting the movies hard lately, and as a result, have another review to share with you all today. I'm assuming everyone is familiar with 'Family Guy' creator Seth MacFarlane (and if you're not, where have you been in life?). What happens when he finally makes his debut in a leading role on the big screen? I guess you'll just have to continue reading to find out.










I'll tell you now, it was pretty cool. To be completely honest with you, I never even expected to go and see this. It just so happened that 'Bad Neighbours' was showing at an inconvenient time, and this was the next best option. Perhaps G-brother from above was sending me some sort of sign, because I really am glad that I got to see this. If you're after some sophisticated, family-friendly humour, I'd be steering clear of this film. However, if you're normal and are just looking for some easy laughs, then this is more than appropriate.











The story revolves around Albert (Seth MacFarlane), a humble sheep farmer who absolutely loathes the west, despite having lived there all his life. At the beginning of the film, he is dumped by his longtime girlfriend Louise (Amanda Seyfried), who has opted for financial stability in her relationship with moustachery owner Foy (Neil Patrick Harris). Meanwhile, notorious outlaw Clinch Leatherwood (Liam Neeson) is on his way to town, sending his begrudging wife Anna (Charlize Theron) to the small county of Old Stump whilst he and his countless right-hand men continue their banditry.









Soon after she settles into town, Anna befriends Albert, and agrees to assist him in winning back ex-girlfriend Louise. Of course, no surprise here, they end up developing romantic feelings for one another, which as you can imagine, doesn't go down well with Clinch. Throughout the movie, Albert is also seen confiding in his pals Edward (Giovanni Ribisi) and Ruth (Sarah Silverman), who are there along the way for moral support.

Guess what? There's really no more to it than that. You're probably all wondering where the rest of my plot retelling's gone, but really, that's it. I honestly can't divulge anymore information without accidentally letting a few spoilers loose into the blogosphere, so I suppose you'll just have to be satisfied with this for the time being.









As I said, I found this movie really entertaining (probably more than I should've). If there's one thing I generally hate, it's movies set in the wild west. Similar to Albert in the movie, the west and I just don't seem to get on. I just find anything set there to be immensely boring. Seriously, that one part in 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure' just ruined the whole movie for me. However, it seems that I may have found my exception to the rule (predominantly due to the fact that the entire film was basically poking fun at the stupidity of the west, but whatever). Never, in the just under two hours I was cooped up in the cinema, did I lose interest in this movie. I found some of the dialogue to be really cleverly written, and even the bits that began to verge on OTT stopped just in time.










I think for the first time in my life, I didn't find any of the characters in this movie unlikeable or tediously annoying. That really is one massive achievement for Seth Macfarlane. How did he conduct this magic? I do not know. But really, even the villains in the movie I still respected and found entertaining (pretty much because the two adversaries were Liam Neeson and NPH, and let's face it, there's no way I wasn't going to like them). I suppose some people could misinterpret the sarcastic whit of protagonist Albert and find him arrogant or precocious, however if you do, there's just no hope for you in life. I'm sorry, but you'll just never understand any kind of comedy.


















There really is something to accommodate for everyone's sense of humour in this movie. You've got the physical gags in spades, yet you've also got some seriously witty, satirical jokes lodged in there as well. However, there are some cameos which really just make the film that much more awesome. I won't spoil them, I promise, but I totally geeked out at all the obvious referencing. I don't want to build it up or anything, but this little guest spot is seriously the best thing you'll ever see in your life. Ever. Neil Patrick Harris also got to grace us during the film with his performing arts talents, this time engaging in a song and dance revolving around the subject of moustaches. It was truly legendary.









To top off this short little review, I just want to reiterate the fact that I think this movie's pretty great (surprisingly so). It's not perfect, however it doesn't pretend to be. This film's ideal if you just want a fun time out at the cinema and some good laughs. However, I warn you now, just don't go with your grandparents or something, because that would be a horrendous and irreversible experience. The acting's entertaining, the dialogue and storyline are engaging, and also, did I mention that awesome cameo? If I were you, I would definitely be sold.











So that's the end of my review! I hope I've given you all another movie to consider next time you find yourself at the cinema in search of entertainment. $14 for a ticket? I think yes. Til' next time . . .

Annabel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment