Saturday 28 June 2014

Summer Blog Challenge 4: Fit for Summer

 
Greetings once again blogosphere! The time has come again for my new instalment of the summer blog challenge, this post's theme being 'Fit for Summer'. As some might've guessed, I initially found this topic to be rather challenging. Why? Simply because I absolutely loathe sport and most forms of exercise. However, there is always encouragement to shake things up a bit and interpret the theme in whatever way you like, so this time, I have opted to write about some of the strangest weight loss techniques that people use to get 'fit for summer'. Such creativity. So without further ado, let's kick things off . . . 
 

Whiffs of Peppermint

 
No, you have not just obtained dyslexia, you have indeed read that subheading correctly. Apparently, sniffing peppermint is the weight loss craze that's all the rage at the moment. Why? Well, it supposedly works by lowering your levels of hunger, and as a result your calorie intake according to a bunch of studies conducted in December. I honestly don't know why this would even be tested in the first place. What kind of person would be all 'I'm feeling a tad bloated, quick, pass me the peppermint so I can inhale it ASAP!'. Although, I guess if it works, the weirdness can just take a backseat.
 
 

The Colour of your Dishes

 
 
Sure, I've heard all about the psychological aspects of colour theory, but who knew they could have a physical effect also? According to some studies published in January this year, eating on red plates helps you eat less. However, I honestly don't know how this is supposed to make a difference. I originally thought red induced hunger (hence its use on the majority of fast food restaurant logos). Although, if this is the case, why would that encourage you to eat less? There are still a bunch of stupid, unanswered questions to do with this one, but I guess you never know until you try it.
 
 

Paying with Cash

 
 
Again, what even is this? It all supposedly has to do with psychology (which personally, I'm kind of cynical about). Apparently, paying with cash rather than credit makes you more inclined to purchase healthier foods. Personally, I always pay with cash, but if I were to choose between a banana and a donut, no doubt about it, I'd always go with the latter. However, according to some studies conducted in schools using debit cards as well as money, those using cash tend to be opting for nutrition. Well, to each their own I guess.
 
 

Chocolate

 
 
If I were you, I'd take this one with a grain of salt. However, as always, studies were conducted, and apparently ripping open chocolate wrappers rather than chip packets lowers abdominal fat. How? I have absolutely no idea. As I say, it's probably just a long-winded myth released by Cadbury, however I plan to take it at face value and follow this one blindly.
 
 

The Temperature of your Room at Night

 
 
These seem to just be getting harder to believe as we go along. Seriously, I don't know how this is a thing. However, somehow, it is. According to some random tests done last summer (or winter if you're located in the southern hemisphere like me), lowering the temperature of your air conditioning a couple of notches helps you to lose weight. Once again, the question of how is left unanswered. I think this is stupid and probably won't work, and the fact that my room will be a few degrees cooler tonight is nothing but a coincidence.
 
 

Organised Workspaces

 
 
Once again, we're faced with a psychological weight loss trick (and once again, I'm dubious). I don't know how or why this is possible, but apparently working in an organised space has been proven to encourage you to make healthy decisions in regards to your diet. If this is the case, it certainly explains a lot. Now, please excuse me while I remove the week-old food wrappers and countless bottles of nail polish from my desk.
 
Congratulations! You've now made it to the end of the list. As you've probably gathered from my ramblings, I'm not exactly a firm believer in all of these weight loss techniques, but hey, you may as well give them a go. At the very least, it'll make for an interesting weekend. Til' next time . . .
 
Annabel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment