Monday 18 August 2014

Best Song Remixes











Readers, we meet once again! Today, I've decided to appreciate some of the cover artists of the world, so get excited! You know how sometimes you hear a really awesome rendition of a song and then totally forget about it? Well, I've decided to solve all of your problems. Stay tuned for what I deem to be some of the most awesome covers of mainstream songs by other celebrities, can life get any better?

Smooth Criminal - Naya Rivera, Grant Gustin and 2Cellos


Of course, given that I am their number one fan, a song featured on 'Glee' is first up on the list. But seriously, I'm not even being biased with this one, because this rendition is seriously unbelievably awesome. MJ himself would've been super proud (you know, if he were alive). 2Cellos are known around the world wide web as being the mastermind behind some of the best song appropriations known to man (or woman), so once you pair them with gleeful song-cover pros Naya Rivera and Grant Gustin, obviously something awesome's going to happen. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself











Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Lorde


Admittedly, Lorde isn't my go-to artist of choice (despite the fact I've jammed to 'Royals' many a time), however her rendition of this 80's 'Tears For Fears' hit is truly epic. The first time I heard it, I wasn't completely sold, although upon further listening, I was a total fan. Obviously everyone else finds this song as awesome as I do, because although originally only used for the 'Hunger Games - Catching Fire' soundtrack, it seems now like Lorde's cover is seriously everywhere. And so it should, because she takes a song which I originally found rather tedious into something a bit dark and edgy. I highly suggest you go give it a listen (or two).












Fancy - Obama


I assume you're all familiar with the idea of mashing clips together to manipulate what celebrities are saying (or in this case, singing)? Well my friends, this is truly the ultimate demonstration of that. Have you ever wanted to see the President of the United States rap to Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy'? I think yes. Sure, this isn't technically a cover, but if you downloaded the song and jammed out to it on iTunes, you wouldn't know the difference. Come on, I think we all need at least one comedy cover on our iPod, and this certainly fits the bill. You know you want to give it a go.












Thrift Shop - Postmodern Jukebox


This is probably one of my favourites on the list, because it's just so original and cool. For those of you who don't know, Postmodern Jukebox tend to take popular songs and appropriate them in a sort of jazzy style. Really, how can that not be awesome? It was kind of hard to narrow down which song to put on this list, however I'd have to say my favourite is 'Thrift Shop' (although it's a hard call). Check it out for yourself, and while you're moseying on over to Youtube, have a look at some of their other stuff. 












Baby, One More Time/Fur Elise - Darren Criss


Yes, you indeed read that correctly. Darren Criss of 'Glee' (and for those of you who are into it, 'A Very Potter Musical'), courageous as he is, decided to mash together the classic tune 'Fur Elise' with 90's pop hit 'Baby, One More Time', and boy, was it awesome. To be honest, it was ridiculously hard to narrow this one down, because Darren does a bunch of amazing covers online, however it's hard to go past a seriously awesome marrying of Beethoven and Britney Spears. You wouldn't think it would work, but it just does. It's seriously just crazy how much I love it, and I think you guys will too (because how could you not?). I'm serious, listen to it right now and amaze your ears. 











Various Rap Songs - Ariana Grande and Jimmy Fallon


Have you ever wanted to hear musical theatre renditions of popular rap songs? I know I certainly have. I feel like this is what I've been waiting for my entire life, and now, the awesomeness has finally arrived. You may not be totally convinced yet of the spectacular results of this appropriation, however I can assure you they're truly outstanding. Jimmy Fallon is seriously a legend for creating interviews that aren't mind-numbingly boring, and now, he's contributing to my iTunes playlists. Ever thought you'd hear Ariana Grande cover Jay-Z and Macklemore? Well neither did I. Start youtubing now and get addicted to it yourself. 










You've now reached the end of my post summing up some of the best song covers and remixes available on the wonderousness (which is totally a word) that is the internet. I suggest you guys get downloading, and give your iTunes a now much needed make-over. Live your lives and get indoctrinated with all of this extreme awesomeness! Til next time . . .

Annabel xx

2 comments: