Friday 31 October 2014

It's Halloween Y'all!










Happy Halloween Readers! Today is the day when once a year on the 31st of October, the undead is the life of the party as you go around to strangers' houses and ask them for candy. Yeah, it's an odd tradition, but I'm all about Halloween. It really is on the rise, and here in Australia, every year it seems to be getting more popular (which for the record, I am totally on board with). In fact, I myself had a party to go to tonight. I know what you're thinking, she has friends? I was shocked myself. Nerd life for the win! Just for fun, I'll show you my costume just because I'm really pumped about it:


















Yep, that's me on the right, croquet mallet in hand (shout-out to my grandpa for making it!). And as I teased in my last post, I did indeed rock up as Veronica from 'Heathers the Musical' (based on this image here). See, I told you I was obsessed. Anyway, I guess the main point I was trying to make with this (besides bragging about the legitimacy of my get up) was that costumes really are of great importance on All Hallows Eve, which of course brings me to my next point. Today, to celebrate the event of all things spooky, I've decided to list some of the best Halloween costumes we've seen throughout our lives in TV and movies, because, why not? And then, to top it all off, I thought I would give you some Halloween binge-watch material to spice up your night.

Best On-Screen Costumes


1. Pretty Little Liars, 'Grave New World'















For all PLL fans, there's seriously no way you can forget this. We were all anticipating it so much, because it was the first episode after the whole 'Ezra is A' reveal. So dressing up as the 4 girls will not only put our nostalgia to rest, but will also allow you and your 3 closest friends to dress up in these fancy period costumes like these liars did in Ravenswood.


2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 'Halloween'














If you're familiar with the Buffyverse, of course you'll remember the episode in Season 2 when thanks to shifty Ethan Rayne, the Scooby Gang transformed into the character portrayed through the costumes they were wearing. It was some pretty crafty stuff, so why not pay homage to it this year? You can go as a ghost, or a man in the military, or even a wealthy maiden, whatever tickles your fancy. So many options, so little time.


3. How I Met Your Mother, 'The Slutty Pumpkin'














The girl in the 'Slutty Pumpkin' costume has been mentioned for years on HIMYM and had become an enigma to all of the viewers at home, that was of course until she came face to face with Ted years later (and of course was played by Katie Holmes). The mystery was solved, and a new Halloween costume was put into play for all of us. So why not rock a pumpkin suit this year? And turn up with your very own 'Hanging Chad'.


4. Friends, 'The One With The Halloween Party'















Everyone loves 'Friends', and I'm pretty sure everyone has a secret 90's obsession. So why not indulge both of these things and dress as one of the gang this Halloween. Sure, you could be 'Super Woman' like Phoebe, or 'Cat Woman' like Monica, or even a pink, fluffy bunny like Chandler, but I think we both know you want to go as Ross' massive potato 'Spud-Nik' costume.


Binge-Watchable Movies


1. Donnie Darko










Sure, it's not exactly a Halloween-themed movie, but I think it's sufficiently creepy to watch on the 31st. It's super quirky with just the perfect amount of creepy tossed in there for good measure. I would have no hesitation recommending this film to you any day of the year, but I feel watching it on Halloween can only enhance your enjoyment.


2. Beetlejuice


 










Surprisingly, I've only seen this film rather recently, however it's a perfect addition to your Halloween movie fest. It kooky, it's fun, and luckily for me, it's not scary. In my opinion, it really is just the ultimate October 31st flick. 


3. Repo! The Genetic Opera












This movie is absolutely insane. I don't know how I discovered it, but I'm so glad I did. It's perhaps one of the worst films I've ever seen, but in a really super awesome way. Despite the fact I don't think it's meant to be, it is absolutely hilarious. Plus, it's rather morbid plot line is absolutely perfect for Halloween.


4. Young Frankenstein











No, no, not Frankenstein. This is absolutely not a horror movie. Young Frankenstein is a whole different ball game. I saw this when I was about 7, and if I wasn't freaked out then, I can assure you that those opposed to all things horrific will be absolutely fine. This parody film is an ideal addition to the list, and I can guarantee you'll be in for a good time. 

So that's the end of my little Halloween post. I hope you all have a spooky evening filled with a litany of confectionery, and have fun watching as many of these movie as you can. Til' next time . . .

Annabel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment