Saturday 14 March 2015

Annoying Female Stereotypes









Readers, hello and welcome back! Just in case you're oblivious to the world and haven't been on social media in the past week, I feel like it's my duty to inform you that last Sunday was officially International Women's Day. I'm pretty proud to say our school celebrated it and everything! We were all given purple ribbons, and there was a celebration in the library in which there were female speakers and everyone watched Emma Watson's UN speech promoting her 'HeForShe' campaign. So yeah, it's a thing, and I thought that Teenage Fanatic better get in on the action as well. So, to celebrate, I thought why not do so by not only entertaining y'all, but shattering a bunch of incorrect female stereotypes along the way? Bam, let's do it. Intro done and dusted, let's get cracking . . .

1. Girls aren't interested in Hardcore Academics


Well first off, let's define 'Hardcore Academics'. Unfortunately, most people are of the opinion that the really challenging subjects that attract all the intelligent people lie solely in the field of maths and science. Yeah, I get it, you're probably smart if you take Physics, but that doesn't mean you're not just as intelligent if you take Extension English, it just means you're different (and in my opinion, totally awesome). Secondly, girls are super intellectual beings. Yeah, of course there are some female idiots, but the world certainly has its fair share of male dimwits also, so in that department, we're pretty even. I know personally, I'd much rather spend my day writing a kick ass philosophical essay than browsing around in a jewellery store, so take that unfounded stereotypes. 












2. Girls Can't Be Aggressive


Sure, it's true that some girls stray away from physical acts of violence and look to playing complicated mind games as a from of aggression, but that's not the only way we solve our problems. I'll admit, I'm not exactly one of these girls, but nonetheless, they're out there. For instance, at my old school, I vividly remember that when I was in year 7, two year 10 girls got into a massive fight, and it ended with one girl bashing the other girl's head against a railing. Does that sound civil and passive aggressive to you? I think not. 










3. All Girls are Amazing Cooks


No, just no. I'm not gonna lie, I don't even know how to use my oven. I can use the microwave, but that's about where the extent of my cooking skills extends to. I just, I don't understand how something can simply transform from a bunch of separate ingredients into an actual meal, that just doesn't seem natural. And frankly, I'm not the only female lacking in culinary know-how, yet we still get labelled as fabulous chefs. I mean, I guess I'm kinda flattered by this gender stereotype, but really, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. 










4. Girls are Scared Super Easily


Whether it's killing bugs or watching movies, there seems to be a myth going around that all girls are scared by very minor things. Now, I know that there are certainly girls who are afraid of freaky looking animals or super obvious jump scares in films, but you know what, there are boys who are too (although they're often too afraid to show it and choose to just bottle up their fear). I for one am willing to kill any bug at any time. Not even kidding, I killed a red back spider in my shower once with nothing but a piece of toilet paper. When it comes to movies, horror may not exactly be my genre of choice, but I can certainly handle the odd thriller flick. I know some girls who love that kind of stuff, and make it their mission to watch every slasher film on the face of the planet, so how exactly do they fall into this category? Answer is, they don't. Stereotype, you've officially been proven incorrect.













5. Girls are Opposed to All Video Games


I'm gonna stop you right now, just, no. I may not have that many video games, but the ones I'm into, I'm kind of obsessed with. Exhibit A, Sims. If I'm being honest, I spend about 90% of my holiday life tending to my virtual family alone in my pyjamas. And no, I'm not ashamed, nor am I alone. I know heaps of girls who love gaming, and I seriously do not understand how this past time is always only associated with males. Can't I enjoy virtually robbing banks and blowing people up too? I mean really, it's just offensive. 












So that's the end of my pro-feminism post! Hopefully you found it vaguely entertaining, and I managed to break down some super incorrect gender stereotypes along the way. Til' next time . . .

Annabel xx

5 comments:

  1. Legit this is one of the best post I think I've read all day (and I read a lot of them everyday). All of these are so, SO true! Like I love video games and when people say that guys have force their girlfriends to play video games I'm over like you don't even have to ask me. I will pick up the controller before you even think about it. I seriously loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha thank you so much! And yes, aren't video games just the best?

      Delete
  2. Legit this is one of the best post I think I've read all day (and I read a lot of them everyday). All of these are so, SO true! Like I love video games and when people say that guys have force their girlfriends to play video games I'm over like you don't even have to ask me. I will pick up the controller before you even think about it. I seriously loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annoying ass bitch

    ReplyDelete