Wednesday 28 September 2016

Emmy Awards 2016: Best and Worst Dressed










Hello and welcome back blogosphere! Although I'm a tad delayed, I thought that I'd take some time today to talk about the 2016 Emmy Awards. I have to say, even though I'm happy for everyone who was nominated and all that jazz, I'm pretty offended at the fact that the academy totally snubbed 'Orange is the New Black' and 'American Horror Story' this year. I mean, where is the logic? But anyway, I digress. I felt that it was time once again to unleash my inner fashion critic (which is ironic given my previous post about feminism), and talk about who in my opinion were some of the best and worst dressed celebrities at this year's red carpet. Introductory paragraph complete, here are my picks . . .

Best Dressed


Emilia Clarke


















There's no denying that Emilia was slaying at this year's red carpet. The shape of her dress was ultra modern and cool, and everything was so simple and elegant that she really couldn't go wrong. She went with a very natural look, and although there perhaps could've been a pop of colour here or there, she honestly looks so good. Plus, she's pretty much goals anyway, so that helps.

 

Priyanka Chopra


















I hear Priyanka Chopra's name thrown around quite a bit, but I'd be lying if I said I was familiar with any of her work. However, what I do know is that she killed it with her Emmy red carpet fashion choices. Red is always a fun way to make a statement, and Priyanka certainly did just that. Her dress is all kinds of awesome, and particularly in this photo, you can see how flowy and elegant it really is. Honestly, I couldn't fault her look.

 

Laverne Cox


















Despite her show being unfairly snubbed (which I am obviously still not over), Laverne showed up and rocked the Emmys red carpet this year. She looks ultra glamorous, and literally dressed like an Emmy award despite the fact that 'Orange is the New Black' wasn't even nominated (have I mentioned that?). Her 1940's, old Hollywood inspired hair complements the super fabulous dress perfectly, and I'm getting so many Beyonce vibes I can't even deal. Overall, I'd say this is definitely a winner.

 

Viola Davis


















Viola Davis seriously brought her A game to the carpet this year. For starters, she's wearing my favourite colour, so how could you possibly go wrong? Secondly, the fit and flare style is super flattering, and the cool bodice detailing is really nice. Honestly, all I can say is despite the fact that she did not win the Emmy for Best Actress in a Drama Series for the second year in a row (which for the record, she totally should have), she killed it on the carpet and won herself a spot on my best dressed list (which is just as, if not more prestigous). Plus, she's mega talented and an amazing human, so I'm extra proud.

 

Kristin Bell


















I wasn't expecting to like this dress as much as I do, but honestly, Kristin looks super amazing. The floral pattern screams autumn, which is very appropriate, and the plunge-neck, fit and flare style is all kinds of flattering. Her hair and make-up are also flawless and complement her outfit perfectly, so really what more could you want from a red carpet ensemble? All in all, a fabulous choice.

Worst Dressed


 Stacy London


















I honestly have no idea who Stacy London is, but from the looks of her dress, I'd say she's an under-payed Spotlight employee. It honestly looks as if she couldn't afford a real dress, so decided to steal random bits of mismatched fabrics and start hacking away at them herself, before haphazardly sewing the pieces together to create what can only be described as a 3rd grade textiles project. Her red carpet stance does not help matters at all, because the awkward leg does nothing but highlight the weirdly placed sheer material. The odd choker or neck tattoo or whatever it is just makes this whole ensemble look as if she's trying way too hard to go for a 'goth chic' look, but has instead achieved 'homemade hobo'. I'm sorry, but no.

 

Laura Carmichael


















 Again, I have no clue who this is, but I know that Laura Carmichael needs some serious fashion guidance. This colour combination does nothing but scream 6 year old birthday party entertainer, and choosing to pair a floor length, tulle skirt with a tied, sleeveless top is never going to be a good look. The random gold clutch clashes with the yellow top, and just further highlights how stupid these colour choices really were. I'm all for taking fashion risks, but whatever happened here was not something that anyone should be proud of. Better luck next time Laura.

 

Amy Poehler


















It pains me to do this because I think Amy Poehler's awesome, but I'm really sorry, this ensemble is just not good. Swamp green is not an easy colour to wear, and unfortunately, when used in a beaded floor-length skirt and poncho combination, it's even harder. This outfit honestly looks as if Amy has just crawled out of a lagoon, and that in the process, bits of algae and swamp matter stuck to her and she couldn't get them off in time for the Emmys. The dress is just baggy and shapeless and does not do Amy justice, and there is absolutely way too much fabric. On the plus side, her hair and make up are on point, but sadly this is not enough to salvage Amy's look. Hopefully you crush it on the next red carpet!

 

Anna Chlumsky


















What even is this? I am super confused. I'm sorry Anna, you were cute and everything in the movie 'My Girl', but I just can't with this. She looks like a pastry, and not even one I'd want to eat. The colour totally washes her out and is super gross, the dress looks like its been inflated, the off the shoulder sleeves are really saggy, and the random cape makes literally no sense considering the dress is above the knee. Other than that, the shoes are okay, I guess. But please Anna, next time, wear literally anything else.

 

Angela Bassett


















I love 'American Horror Story', I really do, but unfortunately Angela, the title of your show is apt in describing your Emmys ensemble. Bright yellow has to be done super well for me to even consider liking it on the red carpet, and honestly, this didn't even come close. The style of the dress kind of looks like one of the robes out of 'Star Wars', and the juxtaposition between the weirdly floppy sleeves and super tight midsection is just odd and not effective at all. Overall, I hate to say it, but this was a definite fashion mishap.

So that's about it y'all. I hope you've found my fashion taste interesting regardless of whether or not you think my opinions are wildly inaccurate, and that this post managed to be vaguely entertaining. If you completely disagree with everything I've said, feel free to let me know as harshly as you want in the comments section. Til' next time . . .

Annabel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment